We are looking to hire an experienced Android engineer to help enhance our Android app and build our upcoming Android SDK. Our goal is to craft a wonderful experience for our Android app users and also make it easy for Android developers to add Help Scout capabilities to their apps. Your work as an experienced Android engineer will empower over 8,000 businesses around the world to provide great customer service, and will support the other senior engineers on your team.
Tools We Use
- Java, Kotlin, Pusher, AWS, Firebase
- Slack, Trello / Jira, Github, Jenkins
About the Role
- Our engineering team is currently thirty people, just over half the company. You will be working on our five-person mobile team which includes another Android engineer, two other iOS engineers and a designer. You’ll be involved in every decision made regarding implementation, testing, and backlog prioritization.
- A separate team of engineers owns the back end API endpoints, so your work is mostly focused on the app, SDK implementation, and design details. You’ll also get everything you need from the design team with regard to Android-specific visual design and interactions. You’ll work with customers and QA testers to ensure releases meet customer demands and our high quality bar.
- Our engineering teams work in two-week iterations, communicate mostly via Slack and are committed to remote, agile development. When you are ready, you’ll create and send a pull request with tests and tag your team for review - using video and screen-sharing as needed. Your development builds can be easily tested on environments that closely match production. You’ll work autonomously for the most part and we trust you to get work done when/where you can be productive.
- Your team performs engineering support when a question can’t be answered by our in-house support team and passes triage. We’ll get you up-to-speed with engineering support so you can help our customers and improve the product along the way.
- Everything is secondary to the customer experience. We expect you to have a keen sense of how your code will impact the experience in terms of performance, security and usability.
- Competitive Salary - We pay at or above market salary in most cases and evaluate a lot of research to make sure everyone is paid well. The formula we use to calculate all salaries is public to employees and is improved upon regularly.
- Work anywhere - Work from our office in Boston or anywhere else that has 4+ hours of overlap time with Boston and Europe working hours. We’ll even buy your home office furniture or help you pay for a co-working space.
- Health and dental insurance - We cover you and your family's health/dental insurance 100%. If you are based in the US, we'll cover you on our Aetna policy. If you're based outside the US, we'll reimburse your out-of-pocket health and dental insurance costs.